Assessment criteria and Learning outcomes:
· I know different ways solids and liquids are similar or different.
· I know lots of different liquids and know what makes a liquid a liquid.
· I have experimented with powders and similar solids and can explain how they behave like liquids.
· I can use capacity measuring equipment and read the scales accurately.
· I have experimented with different liquids and can explain how they keep their volume and change shape in different containers.
· I can explain and keep record of what is happening.
· I can use a table to show my results.
· I know I must check my observations and measurements by repeating them.
· I know how to change water into ice and make it into water again.
· I know how to make chocolate liquid and make it solid again.
· I can explain what is happening using my science knowledge.
· I can explain melting, solidifying and freezing using my science knowledge.
· I know what kind of things change and cannot be changed back.
· I have used sieves to separate things of different sizes, including the different grains in soil.
· I have experimented with different materials to find out what kinds of things will dissolve in water.
· I know what a solution is and how to make one.
· I can separate undissolved solids from a liquid. I know that this method is called filtration.
· I know that sugar and salt dissolve in water; I can say how they can be separated from the water.
· I can suggest what might happen and explain why.
· I can decide what equipment I need for my investigation.
· I can write clear accounts and explain my results using my scientific knowledge.
· I think that the amount of sugar that will dissolve depends upon the temperature of the water. If it were hotter, more would dissolve.
· I know that sugar dissolves more quickly in warm water and wonder if salt would do the same.
· I can repeat the test using different substances, or liquids.
· I can carry out all my investigations safely.
· I can use a table and spreadsheet to show my results.